Stretch marks as many of us know are unsightly marks found on the buttocks, breasts, upper arms, back,thighs, abdomen and stomach caused by the tearing of the dermis due to skin stretching and expansion.
These marks are usually caused by hormonal changes such as puberty, pregnancy, or rapid weight changes such as body building or weight-loss.
The best way to get rid of stretch marks is to prevent them from appearing through regular moisturizing of the surface with an oil based emollient, however, this is not the case of many as stretch marks are mainly noticed after they appear and we are left with the only option of minimizing their appearance.
Thankfully, the visibility of stretch marks can be minimized, and so here are our top 5 stretch marks minimizing and prevention products.
1. Coconut Oil: There are countless skin benefits of using coconut oil and minimizing the appearance of stretch marks is one of such benefits. This versatile oil is one of the few oils that have natural moisturizing properties that penetrate deep without sitting on the surface. Related Article: The Beauty Benefits of Coconut Oil
1. Apply coconut oil to damp skin after stepping out of the shower for better absorption.
2. Always remember to buy Virgin or Extra Virgin Coconut oil (which are the purest forms of Coconut oil) from a trusted supplier. Related Link: Purchase Coconut Oil in Nigeria
2. Nature’s Own Oil: This advanced skin repair serum is relatively new to the scene and is already creating a buzz when it comes to stretch marks minimization and prevention.This product not only helps with stretch marks, but also yields good results for uneven skin tone, ageing skin and burns.
Nature’s Own Oil is specially formulated to soothe and rejuvenate the skin, producing a silky soft and glowing effect. The light, non-greasy formulation is easily absorbed and the hypoallergenic formulation makes it suitable for all skin types.
This product manufactured in Canada is highly recommended for those who aren’t concerned about the presence of mineral oil and propylene glycol in its formulation. Purchase Nature’s Own Oil
3. Shea Butter: Another natural product that helps in minimizing scarring. This product is usually extracted from the African Shea tree and used for producing many body lotions in the cosmetic industry due to its high moisturizing properties.
Shea Butter comes solid in form but usually melts when in contact with the skin. This odorless product can also be sometimes used as an alternative to Cocoa Butter.
4. Bio Oil: This is a specially formulated product made with Calendula, Chamomile, Lavender and Rosemary Oils that a number of people swear by.
Research carried out by the Bio-Oil Company in 2010 showed an improvement in stretch marks visibility in 38 female subjects between the ages of 18-65 in less than 2 weeks.
5. Cocoa Butter: This natural product is a pale-yellow product derived from the Cocoa Bean that contains high level of antioxidants and a fairly stable quality that enables it keep for years.
There are a number of cocoa butter believers but a clinical research study showed the effects of cocoa butter on stretch marks in pregnant women yielded no different from the results of a placebo.
Cocoa butter should also be used in moderation as it has shown visible darkening effects on active users.